Monday, October 14, 2013

Creamy Southwestern Chicken Soup

Well this is different -- I'm going to post a recipe! After leftovers for lunch today (and they were EXCELLENT leftovers), I decided that this needs to be shared!

THUS:

Creamy Southwestern Chicken Soup 
(from the Lion House "Soups and Stews" cookbook)
Makes 6 servings (my husband and I ate it last night for dinner and today for lunch . . . it lasted two meals for us.)




2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups heavy cream
3 cups milk
2 teaspoons taco seasonings
2 teaspoons paprika
1 chicken bouillon cube
 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced 
(I just cooked it in a little oil in a frying pan.)
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
1/2 cup cooked rice 
(I used Minute rice = 1/2 cup rice + 1/2 cup water +3 minutes in the microwave!)
1 can corn
1 can black beans 
(remember to rinse so you don't get gross black bean slime all over your soup -- I rinsed the corn and the beans together.)

Step 1: melt the butter in a pan until foamy, then add the flour and let cook for minute.

Step 2: add cream and milk as well as taco seasoning, bouillion cube, and paprika. Stir and let it thicken.

Step 3: add chicken, chiles, rice, corn, and beans. Warm through.

Step 4: eat your delicious soup! I like to eat it with tortillas -- or tortilla chips. Mmm.

This soup is easy -- it didn't take long to make, probably 15-20 minutes or so (which was ideal since we were making it on Fast Sunday). Besides the chiles and cream, I usually have all the other ingredients on hand. Also, I have made this before without the chiles, and it was still spectacular. 
One more note -- this soup gets really thick. If you have leftovers, I would highly recommend re-heating the soup in a pan on the stove since the next day it will look like a solid brick of beans and corn. Wow, I just made leftovers sound delicious . . . but I promise, they're still good! 



And this is how Colten said I should show my recipe:





1 comment: